Found Dog TIPS (Rural)
If you decide that you can adequately provide care for the dog until the owners are found:
1. Check for license or ID tag, or a tattoo.
2. Contact the local Animal Control Officer.
i. The owner of the dog likely will have filed a “Missing” report with them.
3. Put a large FOUND DOG sign in front of your yard so that if the owners are out looking for their dog, they will know you have found it.
i. If you are located outside town limits also put large FOUND DOG signs at the busiest roads near your home.
4. Contact all neighbors and let them know you have found a dog.
i. Spread the word far and wide. The more people that know the better the chances that the owner will be found.
5. Take the dog for a walk in town in case the owners are out looking. Do this frequently for however many days you have the dog in your care.
6. Put flyers up in high traffic businesses (where permitted) such as:
- post office/community mail boxes,
- convenience stores,
- gas stations,
- community clubs,
- pet/animal supply stores,
- any/all community billboards
7. Contact your town office to let them know in case the owner contacts them.
8. Contact all local Veterinary Clinics to file a report with them.
9. Take the dog to the nearest Vet for a free scan for a microchip or to get help with tattoo identification.
10. Post 2 ads on Kijiji. One under Pets, Lost/Found & one under Community “other”.
11. Post ads on any Facebook buy and sell sites on the Internet for your area.
12. Contact the Winnipeg Humane Society at 204-982-2025 to file a report with them & also email a picture of the dog to: email@example.com
13. Contact the City of Winnipeg toll free @ 1- 877- 311-4974 in case this dog is registered with them.
14. Contact radio stations to request an announcement on the air.
15. Place an ad in the local community newspaper.
16. If the owner is found, be sure to request proof of ownership.
i. Acceptable proof is considered to be registration papers, a vet bill, adoption papers or family pictures with their pet, or have them identify something on the dog. Watch the dogs reaction to their voice or presence for a sign that indicates recognition.
17. Please, once the owner is found, notify Winnipeg Lost Dog Alert and take down all posters & delete your Kijiji ads or any other ads you have placed.
AFTER HOUR VETERINARY CLINICS IN WINNIPEG
If you decide to bring the found dog into the city, here are the clinics which are open after hours: Call them first before bringing the dog in just in case the vets cannot take them.
Southglen Vet | 204-452-0077 (730 St. Anne’s Rd)
Plessis Vet | 204-691-8838 (17 – 1783 Plessis Ave.)
Pembina Vet | 204-452-9427 400 Pembina Hwy (Pembina Veterinary is open 24/7 for emergencies)
The above clinics will accept lost dogs after hours if they have available space for them. During business hours many clinics will also accept lost dogs to their facilities to ensure their safety. Make sure to call them first before you bring the found dog in. Please let us know where you are bringing the found dog. We will need this information if the owner comes to our page looking for their dog.
If you have lost a dog and it is after regular business hours contact these Vets as well in case someone has called them or dropped your dog off with them.